The European Union directive states that UK citizens have the right to choose a healthcare service provider in the EEA (European Economic Area) and Switzerland and can lawfully get NHS refund for planned and unplanned treatment abroad. It means if you are planning to receive treatment abroad, you have the right to seek reimbursement for them.
In this way, you do not need to wait in a NHS queue and depending on the chosen destination you can save thousands on your surgery abroad.
What services are covered by NHS?
You are entitled to claim reimbursement from the NHS if you receive the following services abroad:
Outpatient services or health care services
Inpatient health care services
Inpatient health care services require an overnight hospital stay. In this case, you will need prior authorization from the NHS.
Urgent or emergency medical assistance for acute problem
At Medicover Hospital there is no possibility to require treatment for acute surgical interventions or for injuries comes from violent acts or traffic accidents and demand complex examinations involving several outpatient services.
What are the necessary documents to get refund from NHS?
In order to receive a full reimbursement from NHS you will need the following documents:
- Proof of your UK residency, for example, a bank statement or utility bill.
- Receipt or invoice of payment detailing you as the patient.
- Medical report from the Hospital describing your condition and confirming the medical treatment.
Am I entitled to claim the NHS refund?
You are entitled to claim an NHS refund in the following cases:
- You are a UK resident.
- You are eligible for state-funded healthcare services in the UK.
- The treatment is medically necessary.
- The treatment is funded in the UK under normal circumstances, which means you cannot go abroad for a treatment that would not normally be available under the NHS.
- The treatment is available to and acceptable and safe standard in the country you choose.
- The treatment, clinic, and trip do not pose a risk to your health.
How Medicover contributes to my NHS refund?
Outstanding quality and cutting-edge technology
- Medicover Hospital provides facilities with the highest EU recognized quality.
- We are proud of being awarded certification of Quality Management for ISO 9001:2008 standards by SGS.
- Exclusive, modern and welcoming environment on 3,600 square meters (38,750 square foot).
- Medicover Hospital includes exclusive single patients rooms.
- The surgeries are provided in two state-of-the-art operating rooms with subintensive hospital and post-operative surveillance rooms.
- Medicover Hospital houses our endoscopic center providing gastroscopy and colonoscopy in general anesthesia.
- Our advanced imaging center, equipped with modern CT nd MRI scanners is available for advanced diagnostics prior to surgical treatments.
Smooth administration process
- All our surgeons, physicians, radiologist and Medical Tourism Managers are fluent in English.
- We provide all-inclusive ‘hospital abroad’ service packages including the treatment, medications and reservation management.
- Your dedicated Medical Tourism Manager will be your guide during your stay.
We will issue a detailed invoice of the preoperative tests, the surgical procedure if any implant gets inserted and of the postoperative check-ups.
You will receive a medical report describing your condition, the diagnosis and the confirmation of the needed medical treatment.